The three cottages were named for important people in the early history of the Barossa.
Flaxman, who owned the original Goat Square complex, was the agent of George Fife Angas, who organised a central farmers’ market for producers in outlying areas such as Langmeil and Bethany. This market took place at Goat Square itself.
Johannes Menge was the official government geologist in the 1830s, and it was he who decided that the area was good for grape growing. The first vineyard to be established was Johann Gramp.
Kavel Cottage is named after Pastor Kavel, who negotiated for the immigration of Lutheran families from Silesia and East Prussia. These early migrants stayed in Klemzig while waiting for land allocation. Goat Square cottages date largely from 1867, incorporating features from an original structure built in the 1840s, including the old baker’s oven.